Thursday, April 18, 2013

Rochester Athletic Club

Rochester Athletic Club ("RAC") is a gym in the Greater Rochester area. There are 5+ locations, 2 of which are Women Only. They are running a promotion of $10 per month. It sounds better than it is.

If you sign up now, you'll get 3 months at $10 per month. After that, you have to sign a commitment of 24 months at a minimum of $29.95 per month. I don't know about you but 24 months is a very long time. And there's hardly any way to get out of the commitment. I'm sorry, but I want to be able to cancel whenever I damn well please, thank you very much.

Through the end of April they are waiving their $99 enrollment fee.

Anyway. I signed up for the 3 months. I plan to give the required 60 day notice of cancellation before those 3 months are up.

The things I like about RAC:
- I can go to any location and get in.
- There are women only locations.
- Their equipment is new and clean.
- A membership comes with at least 3 30 minute sessions with a personal trainer.
- They're kinda sorta on my way home from work, depending on the route I take.
- They have a ton of amazing classes to choose from.

Things I don't like about RAC:
- You have to commit to 24 months.
- The monthly membership fee is more expensive than I was led to believe.

I was so totally bummed when I got home from my first visit to RAC after talking with one of their fitness coaches. I looked up Planet Fitness for comparison.

The things I like about Planet Fitness:
- They have a non-commitment option that is $15 a month.
- The enrollment fee for that option is $29.
- The annual fee they have is only $30.
- They're again kinda sorta on my way home from work depending on the route I take.

Things I don't like about Planet Fitness:
- The 2 locations are in kinda questionable neighborhoods. But with a non-commitment membership I could cancel after only 1 month if I didn't feel safe.
- The membership is only good for the location I sign up with, I can't get into their other locations.
- They don't have classes. Truthfully, though, I get out of work at 5:15. It's 5:45 at best when I would get there, plus 5-10 minutes to change and get ready for my workout. I wouldn't make it to the 5:30 classes even if they had some. And 6:30 classes at 45+ minutes long put me home much later in the evening that I want to be.

Decisions. Decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment