Saturday, July 27, 2013

3.1 miles - Jungle Jog 5k

I am in the green, #729


A week ago tomorrow, I ran my first 5k.

I started running in April 2013. I couldn't even run for 30 seconds, let alone 3 miles.

I downloaded an app to my android phone called C25K by Zen Labs. That is short for Couch to 5k. It is an 8 week interval running program designed to make a runner out of a non-runner. I remember starting that first day, feeling like I was going to die and wondering why the heck I wanted to run.

I am not an athlete and I have minimal coordination. Any time we had to run or do the mile in gym class, I dreaded it. Part of the reason is because I used to have an issue with working out and sweating in front of people. Sometime between April and now, I have mostly gotten over that.

Color Me Rad came to Buffalo in June and I struggled to get ready for it. It was just 9 weeks after I started the program so if I got injured or had to repeat a week, I would not be ready for it. As it is, the friend I was going to run with joined the Army and I spent my birthday money on stuff that was not the registration fee.

Then, I found an event called the Jungle Jog at Seneca Park Zoo. It was in July, 30 days from when I registered, so I knew I had to step up the pace. At that point, I could run for 10 minutes but after walking for 1 minute and attempting to run the remaining 10 minutes of my 30 minute workout, I could not get through that last 10 minutes without walking some of it. There was no way I would be able to run a whole 5k.

For a few weeks I alternated between shorter and longer intervals until I decided to try running for 20 minutes straight. I was so completely shocked when the app said my workout was complete. And I felt great! My legs felt like they could keep going!

A few days later I found some hills to run for the first time because Seneca Park is hilly. I was surprised again when I not only ran for 20 minutes straight in the heat but did it on hills!

Again, a few days later, I decided to try running the whole 30 minutes. I did it. At times I thought for sure I would have to walk but then before I knew it, I was done! When I got home I mapped my route and was so discouraged to find out that I only ran 2.2 miles. According to the program, you should be able to run 3 miles in half an hour. I had a whole other mile that I needed to run but I was out of time. That was my last run before I took a few days off before my 5k.

Saturday morning I got up early to head out to MedVed to pick up my registration packet for the next day and so I could ensure I got a tshirt in my size. As I was driving I got choked up and teary eyed. I was so nervous, excited and proud at how far I have come. I am not losing weight like I thought I would with running, but I am definitely making better choices and losing inches in my legs and chest/shoulders. What a random spot to lose inches. My collar bones are more pronounced.

Saturday night we had some pasta, grilled chicken, red sauce and cheesy garlic bread. Carbs, but not anyore than what I would normally eat.

Sunday morning we got up at 4:30. We - my husband went with me to the race for support and my grandmaet us there, too. We needed to eat breakfast and take the dogs out and have some time to sparebefore leaving at 6. I wanted to get there early for parking and to scope things out.

It was kind of daunting as we drove down into Seneca Park. I did not remember the hills beong so long.

As we waited for the race to start I kept thinking what the heck was I thinking?! I am so not ready for this.  But at that point, so many people knew about the race that I could not back out even if I wanted to - which I didn't.

The first half mile or so was up hill. It was awful. My pace is already slow with a short stride, the hill just compounded that. I had no idea how to force my legs to keep going, but they did. Some people were walking faster than I was running but at least I was running. I kept looking for the 1 mile marker and felt like I should be nearly done with the race by the time I actually saw it. I still had so far to go!

The second mile was easier as it was mostly level if not a bit down hill. That second mile is the one that took our route into the zoo. That was kind of cool even though the animals were not really out, not that I would have stopped to look at them if they were.

The last half mile was down hill and while that should have seemed like a relief, I thought for sure I would have to walk. But I didn't. There is a certain point when you think, I have already made it this far, I might as well keep pushing.

I ran the whole 3.1 miles in 45 minutes 8 seconds. My official time is 46 something but they started my time when the gun went off, not when I actually crossed the starting line. Being that I was near the back, it took a minute or so to get to the starting line.

My husband and grandma were right at the finish line and gave me hugs and kisses despite my sweatiness. They were so proud of me and I was more proud of myself. I just ran 3.1 miles! Holy Shit!

My husband said, "You just have to throw that .1 in there, don't you?" I said, "Definitely. That last .1 mile is one of the roughest parts. Of course it should count."

My grandma left and my husband and I went into the zoo. I only lasted about an hour before I couldn't stay upright anymore. We had pizza hut for lunch and then went home where I napped for a good 2 hours.

The next two days were rough in terms of leg soreness but on the third day I felt fine. So much so that I went for a short 10 minute run. It felt kind of off though nothing hurt so the next day I went for a walk and have continued resting since then. I plan on going for another short run tonight.

I downloaded the C210k app. The first 8 weeks are the exact same as the 5k app so I will probably skip over those and start on week 9 day 1. I looked at it to see what I was up against and thought they were crazy when it said run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat 4 times. My first thought was "How the hell do they expect me to run for 40 minutes?!" Then I realized, "Duh! You just ran for 45 without 1 minute breaks! You totally got this!"

I am still in shock and so proud of how far I have come in 3 short months. My love affair with running is really just beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment