Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino

One of my favorite blogs to follow is Chocolate Covered Katie. She has tons of healthier desserts, beverages and treats!

I came across her blog on Pinterest with who knows how many recipes and then I saw her Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino.

I saw it and pinned it a few weeks ago but hadn't made it yet. Tonight, I decided I wanted it. Looking at the recipe it's supposed to be frozen and then partially thawed for the iced effect and you're not supposed to use ice because it'll dilute the flavor. Instead of freezing it, I decided I was going to use ice, except I don't have ice yet, I just filled the trays tonight. I was impatient and decided to try it without freezing it or the ice. It's quite good, but after mixing the ingredients together I only had a few sips and now it's sitting in the fridge until the ice is frozen so I'll finish making it tomorrow. I think I'll add a little more sugar, though. It's just a touch too pumpkin-y for my taste.








Makes 2 large servings

Ingredients

2 cups milk of choice
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp instant coffee granules (decaf or regular)
scant 1/16 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions

Mix the ingredients together in a shallow plastic container. Freeze. (You could also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the containers. Thaw slightly and blend until desired slushiness is reached. Add extra sweetener if needed, but do NOT add ice! It will dilute the flavor. Pour into two glasses and enjoy.



 Click here to go to the original recipe.

I have allergies. I'm allergic to nuts, coconut, pretty much anything really acidic, it's pretty much like I get hives in my mouth/on my tongue but it doesn't close up my throat or anything so it's only painful for 20 minutes and isn't life-threatening. Plain pumpkin puree sometimes hurts my mouth, it did in this recipe which is why I think I need to add some more sugar to wake away a bit more of the bite it gives me. I think my using ice will work out well for me in light of this. It could stand to be a bit diluted so I can actually enjoy it.

*Edit - Okay, so I used about 6 or so ice cubes and it was delicious. It didn't bother my tongue much at all, and I did add another 1/2 T of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment