Saturday, January 26, 2013

Caramel Peach Batter Pie and Pie Crust

My husband's grandfather passed away in January 2012. His favorite pie is what we call Caramel Peach Batter. No one I know, outside of his family, has ever heard of such a thing. I hope his family doesn't lynch me for posting this but it's just too delicious to not share. Not many people have successfully made this pie, however Hubby's aunt, grandma and I have mastered it.


First and foremost, pie crust. I hate pie crust. The only crust I've ever actually liked is my grandma's.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cups lard - divided - you can use shortening if you want but it won't be as good. Gotta love animal fat.
7 Tablespoons ice water

Directions:
Combine the flour and salt in medium to large bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in 1/3 cup of lard. Combine until it resembles the consistency of oatmeal. Cut in the remaining lard and combine until it looks roughly like peas. Add the ice water and combine with a fork until all the mix is wet and it forms a ball.

Take a little more than half of the dough and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to fit your pie pan. Gently place it in the pan and pinch the edges to give it that pretty crust.

If the pie you're making requires a top crust, fill the bottom with your filling, roll out the remaining dough and pat it on top of the pie. Using wet fingers, pinch the top crust into the bottom crust.

If you have any remaining dough, roll it onto a baking sheet, add some sugar and cinnamon, and bake it at 350F until it's done. I've only done it once or twice and it has been a while. I imagine it took 15-20 minutes. Cut it into strips and enjoy the yumminess. 


Now for the pie. First, I have to tell the secret. This pie requires a 10inch pie pan, not a standard 9inch. 10inch pans are difficult to find. I got mine from my grandma who had two, but I think Bed Bath and Beyond has them. I've never found one at Wal-Mart.

Ingredients:
Pie
Pie crust - only for a bottom
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cup peaches (I use canned. Save the juice from the can, you need it)

Caramel Sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup peach juice (or water if you're using fresh peaches)
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup

Directions:
Combine the ingredients for the caramel sauce in a small pan. Heat to boil and boil for 1 minute. Allow to cool.

Combine the dry ingredients for the pie, add in the butter, milk and vanilla until combined. Add in the egg. Gently fold in the peaches and place in pie shell. Pour the caramel sauce over the top and bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes.

A couple times I've made this, the caramel sauce dripped over the side while baking. I have a wire heating element in my oven so I am able to put one of those oven liners under the element for easy clean up. If your oven is flat (unlike mine, mine is currently uneven) you probably won't have an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment